Until the creation of Loton Park, the Church and the Castle were the dominant buildings of the village of Alberbury. The estate and the Leighton family, who developed it, are an integral part of the village landscape. Their name and influence appear frequently within the Church and graveyard. Alberbury is a microcosm of rural England partly shared with Wales for the parish spills over the border.
Before the Norman Conquest, the Manor of Alberbury was owned by Kind Edward. The re-consecration of the Church by the Bishop of Hereford around 1290 provides a firm foundation for its subsequent existence and development.